Index Page


Katie Ann Macdonald

Katie Ann Macdonald was not nine years of age when she was taken by the Good Shepherd to her everlasting rest. It was evident that she was taught by the Holy Ghost, Who can reach young sinners as well as old sinners. One of her sayings was that if she lived for a hundred years, it would only be a short time.

She prized the Bible more than any other book, as she said that she could understand it better. The Psalms were especially precious to her, namely, the 23rd, the 40th and the 121st. She said that although the 40th was long, it was very lovely and she was not as some today are, tired of the Psalms, in their present form, preferring hymns with instrumental music. She was also given to prayer.

On her return home by plane from Inverness the day was stormy but she said, ‘If God be for us, who can be against us? We will get there all right.’ If I should die,’ she said, ‘I will be sorry to leave you, but if the Lord is preparing a place for me it will be far better and I pray constantly that you will join me there.’

She had always been a wise child, beloved by her teacher and by all who knew her. She loved the House of God, and had been at communion season in Breasclete at the age of five years. She would take no refusal, but insisted on going to the communion. What a pity young and old do not have the strong desire that she had to be present at the Lord’s ordinances.

It was on the 18th November 1966, after a small operation in Inverness that it become known that she was not to live much longer. She suffered greatly during the next three months, but she would say that Christ suffered far more than she did. She spoke many wonderful words which showed that she loved the Lord Jesus Christ, and that the Holy Spirit was dealing with her soul.

Lying in the ambulance department of the plane, strapped to a stretcher, she was seen to have her hands clasped in prayer. Great was her joy on arriving to see her grandparents and all those that she loved. After a week in the Stornoway Hospital, she was taken to her home. She often wanted her mother to sing to her from the Psalms, and remarked on how the singing comforted her when her pain was greatest. She also loved her uncle to come to her bedside every night and sing as many of the Psalms as possible.

Her faith in the Lord was very great. One day she felt a little appetite and asked for a bit of fish. Her grandmother told her that no fish had been seen for weeks, so perhaps she could take something else. She replied that it would come, for the Lord she felt would not have given her this appetite if He had meant to deny her a bit of fish. It was no surprise to her when someone told her that the fish van had come.

When taking medicine she always clasped her hands and prayed that the Lord would bless it for the relief of her pain. She thanked the Lord for every little comfort and blessing which we usually take for granted.

A friend said to her on one occasion that it was good to be able to take a little food, she replied, ‘Is it not good to be praying?’ there were times, however, when she doubted if her prayers were genuine. One day she said, ‘I am afraid that my prayers are not good. Perhaps they are not from my heart. Maybe they are only words from my mouth.’ Stan tried to stop her from praying. She added, ‘What a terrible enemy he is!’

She desired to be left alone for a while every day. She often said that Jesus spoke to her, and told her that she would be all right. When asked how she knew it could be Jesus, she answered, ‘No one could speak to me in that lovely soft tone but Jesus.’ Some cannot bear to be alone, but must always have company.

During the last month of her illness she suffered a great deal, but she would not allow anyone to say that she was ‘a poor soul.’ This seemed to grieve her and she would say, ‘I am only weak.’

On the day in which she died she prayed, ‘Dear Lord Jesus, bless me, and comfort me and take me to Heaven.’

As she was nearing the end, she asked that everyone in the house would come to her bedside. (This was after a very severe turn in which she had seemed to have lost all consciousness). Her face became so radiant that some present said her beauty was almost frightening.

She asked everyone present to come over to kiss her. A little later she said to her father, ‘Tonight I am going to sleep. What time shall I say it will come? Maybe, at five o’clock.’ At five o’clock on the 23rd of February, 1967, a beautiful life ended on earth, and a far more beautiful life continued in Heaven.

Geshader, Uig, Isle of Lewis, Scotland